Posts for category: Cold Sore
If you carry the herpes simplex virus, you will most likely experience cold sores at some point. Here are some tips for things you can do at home to help manage cold sores:
- Apply medicine that you can buy without a prescription, such as benzocaine and L-lysine, to the blisters.
- Put ice on the blisters.
- Avoid things that could trigger another outbreak, such as stress and too much sun exposure.
Avoid Spreading the Virus
- Do not share items such as silverware, cups, towels, and lip balms.
- Do not kiss anyone.
- If you have tingling, burning, itching, or tenderness where you had a herpes sore, keep that area of your body away from others.
- Wash your hands after touching a cold sore.
- Use a cotton-tip swab to apply medicine to a cold sore.
Your Dermatologist may be able to prescribe medicine that will help to suppress the virus and manage outbreaks. If you suffer with cold sores, the professionals at Warrenton Dermatology & Skin Therapy Center in Warrenton, VA can help! Call 540-341-1900.