Kybella in Warrenton, VA
Reveal Your Own Kybella® Profile
Kybella® is the first and only FDA-approved injectable treatment to improve the appearance of moderate to severe fat beneath the chin by physically destroying fat cells.
Kybella® is a prescription medicine used in adults to improve the appearance and profile of moderate to severe fat below the chin (submental fat), also called "double chin."
Kybella® (injection treatment) might be right for you if:
- You're bothered by fat under the chin, also known as submental fullness
- You don't want surgery
- You feel the condition makes you look older or heavier than you actually are
- You eat well and exercise, but submental fullness does not go away
What causes submental fullness?
Submental fullness due to fat beneath the chin can impact a broad range of both male and female adults. Some possible causes are:
- Weight Gain
Sometimes, even with diet or exercise, the condition may not go away, and it could make you appear older or heavier than you actually are.
How does Kybella® (injection treatment) work?
- When injected into the area beneath your chin, Kybella® destroys fat cells. Once destroyed, those cells cannot store or accumulate fat
- The active ingredient in Kybella® is deoxycholic acid, a naturally occurring molecule in the body that aids in the breakdown and absorption of dietary fat
- Fat cleared from the treatment area is processed through your body's natural metabolism
How many treatment sessions will I need?
- Your healthcare provider will help you determine how many treatment sessions you need, based on the amount and distribution of you submental fat and your personal treatment goals
- Up to 6 treatments may be administered, spaced no less than 1 month apart
- Fifty-nine percent of people treated with Kybella® in clinical studies received 6 treatments
How is Kybella® administered?
- Kybella® is given during an in-office visit. The injection process may take 15-20 minutes
- Your healthcare provider will give you a series of injections into the fat under your chin at each treatment session
What can I expect after my treatment session?
- For most patients, downtime occurred most commonly after the first treatment session
- You should be able to resume your daily activities, but are likely to have swelling so keep your social plans and work commitments in mind when scheduling your treatment
- Prior to your treatment session, your healthcare provider may apply ice/cold packs or topical and/or injectable local anesthesia to the treatment area to make you more comfortable
- After treatment, apply ice or a cold pack to the treatment area for 10 to 15 minutes, as needed
Will there be side effects?
- Kybella® can cause serious side effects, including nerve injury in the jaw that can cause an uneven smile or facial muscle weakness (experienced by 4 out of 100 people in clinical studies) and trouble swallowing (experienced by 2 out of 100 people in clinical studies)
- The most common treatment area side effects include:
- Areas of hardness
If these statements apply to you, ask your doctor if Kybella® is right for you. Before receiving treatment, tell your doctor about all your medical conditions, including if you have had or plan to have surgery on your face, neck, or chin; have had cosmetic treatments on your face, neck, or chin; have bleeding problems; are pregnant or plan to become pregnant (it is not known if Kybella® will harm your unborn baby); or are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed (it is not known if Kybella® passes into your breast milk; talk to your healthcare provider about the best way to feed your baby if you receive Kybella®).
Ready to schedule your Kybella® treatment?
Here are some questions you may want to ask your healthcare provider:
- Will treatment with Kybella® help me achieve my aesthetic goals?
- What kind of aftercare will I need?
- When should I schedule a follow-up visit?
- Will I need follow-up treatments once we achieve our desired outcome?
To learn more about Kybella and other available treatment options,
call Warrenton Dermatolgoy & Skin Therapy Center at (540) 341-1900.